Dai-ichi Sogo Building, Kyobashi, c. 1920.



1920sArchitectureHistoric DistrictNotable Landmark
Tagged with: , , ,
Dai-ichi Sogo Building, Kyobashi, c. 1922.

Dai-ichi Sogo Building, Kyobashi, c. 1922. The office building was designed by Tatsuno Kingo, architect of Tokyo Central Station and Kokugikan (National Sumo Hall).

See also:
Dai-ichi Seimei Sogo Building (1949)

Daiichi Sogo building, Kyobashi, c. 1930.

Daiichi Sogo building, Kyobashi, c. 1930.

Dai-ichi Seimei Hoken Sogo-gaisha [First Mutual Life Insurance Co.] (often shortened to Daiichi Sogo) was founded in 1902, making it the oldest mutual insurance company in Japan. The firm relocated twice before beginning construction of a modern 7-story building at Kyobashi in 1915.

Designed by Tatsuno Kingo (who also designed, among other work, the Bank of Japan, Kokugikan (National Sumo Hall), and Tokyo Central Station), Daiichi Sogo Kan was one of Tokyo’s first skyscrapers. Completed in 1921, the building was damaged in the 1923 Great Kanto earthquake. Repaired and extensively renovated, the building remained standing until demolished in 1969.

In 2012, a new building bearing a similar but contemporized corner facade (called Sogokan 110) was completed on the site.

The Okura Co. headquarters (left) from the roof of the Matsuzakaya department store. In the distance is the Dai-ichi Sogo building at Kyobashi.

The Okura Co. headquarters (left) and, in the distance, the Dai-ichi Sogo building at Kyobashi, c. 1930, from the roof of the Matsuzakaya department store at Ginza.

Elevated view of Kyobashi bridge, looking south toward Ginza Crossing, from the roof of the Daiichi Sogo Kan, c. 1930.

Elevated view of Kyobashi bridge, from the roof of the Daiichi Sogo Kan, c. 1930, looking south toward Ginza Crossing (the Matsuzakaya department store is upper left-center).

Please support this site. Consider clicking an ad from time to time. Thank you!

2 thoughts below on “Dai-ichi Sogo Building, Kyobashi, c. 1920.

  1. Pingback: Okura Kumi (Okura Partners), Ginza, 1921. | Old Tokyo

  2. Pingback: Dai Ichi Seimei Sogo building, Marunouchi, c. 1949. | Old Tokyo

Leave a Reply