“Japanese troops marching scene to Ping Yang (Pyongyang) [in 1894]”, Russo-Japanese War propaganda postcard, c. 1905.
“At the onset of the First Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895), the Imperial Headquarters, the top of the wartime command hierarchy, moved from Tokyo to Hiroshima, as did the Meiji Emperor.
“A Hiroshima Provisional Diet Building was constructed for the Provisional Imperial Diet that deliberated the cost of the war. Hiroshima took on the appearance of a temporary capital of Japan.
“The headquarters were established in a building within Hiroshima Castle grounds and housed the headquarters for the 5th Army Division. The building was also designated as the provisional quarters for Emperor Meiji, who was in residence there from September 15, 1894 to April 27 of the following year.
“Thereafter, the building was preserved as a historical monument but was later destroyed by the atomic bomb in 1945. Today, foundation stones are all that remain.”