“Shinjuku [in the 1920s] was not only the gateway for new suburban commuters, but also a growing market for their shopping needs.
“Along the main street were four department stores … all occupying tall ferro-concrete buildings that dominated the landscape of the area. Niko department store was the site of a Mitsukoshi branch from 1925 until Mitsukoshi moved to a new building site, eight stories above ground and three below. Hoteiya of 1926 would be joined immediately to the west by Isetan in 1933, which in turn absorbed Hoteiya shortly thereafter. Matsuya (no kin to the famous Matsuya on the Ginza), located above the Keio terminal, folded soon after, unable to compete.”
– Cartographic Japan: A History in Maps, edited by Karen Wigen, Sugimoto Fumiko & Cary Karacas, 2016