“Shinagawa is one of Japan’s oldest stations and was opened on June 12, 1872, when the service between Shinagawa and Yokohama was provisionally started (four months before the inauguration of ‘Japan’s first railway’ between Shimbashi and Yokohama through Shinagawa on October 14, 1872). This line is a part of the Tōkaidō Main Line. Sadly, nothing remains of the original late 19th-century structure.
“Later on March 1, 1885, Nippon Railway constructed and opened the first line from Shinagawa to Akabane linking those two then-suburban towns with steam locomotive freight and passenger service. By December 1909, electric trains were running from Karasumori (now Shimbashi) to Ueno in a circular route via Shinagawa, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro. Takanawa station of the Keikyu Line (then Keihin Railway Line) opened on March 11, 1924 across the street from Shinagawa station. It would become incorporated into Shinagawa station in 1933.
“The Tokaido Shinkansen, and other trains to the Miura Peninsula, Izu Peninsula, and the Tōkai region, pass through here. The main JR station concourse is now situated above the platforms running east-west across the breadth of the station. A freely traversable walkway divides the station into two sections. The southerly section contains a number of shops and market-style stalls which form the ‘e-cute’ station complex.”