Tsukiji Foreign Settlement, c. 1900
From the wiki: “St. Luke’s International Hospital is a general hospital located in the Tsukiji district of Tokyo, Japan. It was founded in 1902 by Rudolph Bolling Teusler, a missionary doctor sent by the American Episcopal Church.
“In 1927, Japan’s first Public Health Nursing Department was established at St. Luke’s and, in 1933, an American-style physician residency program was also introduced. The original hospital campus was destroyed in the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake. A new 6-story hospital, replacing a temporary post-earthquake facility, was completed in 1933 that remains part of the present hospital campus.
“During the Occupation of Japan, following the end of the Pacific War, the US Armed Forces GHQ requisitioned all facilities for use as the US Army Hospital. The hospital was returned to private operation in 1953.”