“Though Karuizawa was the Road Station in Edo Period (1600-1867) when Shogun had had dominant power all over Japan, it was only a small village early in Meiji Period (1868-1912) because the land was so sterile.
“The cause to revive the land was the visitation of missionary Alexander C. Shaw in 1886. He found the landscape similar to his birthplace Scotland, abundant with nature and pure, beautiful air. Shaw built his summer house at Daizuka-yama area in the Old City. Then Shaw introduced this place as a beautiful resort to his friends’ missionaries and the Japanese intelligentsia. Soon, gradually, the summer houses for foreigners, businessmen, novelists, and artists increased; simultaneously some churches were built.
“The Karuizawa Union Church informally started her missions in 1897 by missionary Daniel Norman, whom local people affectionately called ‘the mayor of Karuizawa’. Many Protestant missionaries were the first to build summer cabins and hold Christian services in Karuizawa in the mid 1880s.
“The Union Church purchased a building originally owned by the Imperial Government Railway. It was remodeled and reborn as a church in 1906, and a church constitution was established also at that time.
“Some of the pioneer missionaries who served in the initial founding of KUC were famed architect Dr. William Merrell Vories, and Dr. & Mrs. A.R. Reischauer, the parents of Edwin Reischauer, former U.S. ambassador to Japan.”
“A church which was established in the Meiji Period (in 1898) by the design of W. M. Vories. Located behind Karuizawa tennis court, the beautiful architecture intertwines with the rustic woodland to add warmth to the trees surrounding it.”