“Despite being a forest of high-rise buildings today, west Shinjuku is actually one of Tokyo’s younger commercial districts. It was not until the Meiji era (1868–1912) that the scenic village of Tsunohazu began to see serious development.
“Until then, Edo’s water supply had come from the Tamagawa and Kanda aqueducts, but water quality issues meant that a modern purification plant was needed. In 1894, Tsunohazu officially became home to the Yodobashi Water Treatment Plant, which eliminated most of the waterfalls to the east of the shrine.
“Shinjuku grew into a transport hub, and plans were soon drawn up to make it a secondary city center. After the Yodobashi plant was relocated in 1965, the skyscrapers of Shinjuku began to rise, with the Keiō Plaza Hotel leading the way in 1971. In 1991, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government moved its offices to the area, cementing the area’s status as one of the city’s largest commercial centers.”
– Altered Views at a Shinjuku Shrine: “Kumano Jūnisha Shrine at Tsunohazu”, by Kichiya, Nippon.com, 2018
Please support this site. Consider clicking an ad from time to time. Thank you!