Ueno Hirokoji

The busy Ueno Hirokoji [Main street] district ca. 1910. The tower of the Matsuzakaya department store is seen center-left. The foreground plaza is an extension of the main entrance to Ueno Park.

Ueno Hirokoji

Ueno was originally a temple town, located on the outskirts of Edo adjacent to historic Kaneiji Temple, and a post station of the Oshu-kaido. Midway through the Meiji era, in 1883, Ueno became the Tokyo terminus of the northern railroad, connecting the capital with the provinces and cities of north Honshu. Even in the Edo era, Ueno Hirokoji [def: main street] was an important thoroughfare for business. Modernization brought a wider boulevard and larger, Western-style stores to the district, including Matsuzakaya.