Taishin-in (Supreme Court, or Court of Cassation), c. 1910.



1910sArchitectureGovernment
Tagged with: , , , ,
Taishin-in, Justice Ministry, c. 1910.

“The Judicial Dept. & Court-House,” Taishin-in, Kasumigaseki, c. 1910.

See also:
Kasumigaseki (Government District), c. 1910

“The name ‘Taishin In’ was used generically by Japanese writers as a translation of for the United States’ Supreme Court, France’s Cour de Cassation, and Germany’s Reichsgericht. Conversely, as the name of Japan’s highest court Taishin In was usually rendered as Supreme Court by Japanese writing in English but was sometimes rendered as Court of Cassation.

“The fact that is powers were much smaller [during the Meiji and Taisho eras] than those of the United States Supreme Court or the post-war Japanese Supreme Court (Saiko Saibansho) has caused some foreigners to prefer the Court of Cassation as the translation for the Taishin In.”

Imperial Japan’s Higher Civil Service Examinations, by Robert M. Spaulding Jr., University of Michigan, 1967

Government ministries along one side of Sakurada-dori (from left to right): the Justice Ministry (Shihōshō), the Supreme Court (Taishin-in), and the Navy Ministry.

Government ministries locations, c. 1905-1910.

From the wiki: “The Supreme Court of Judicature (Tai-shin’in) was the highest judicial body in the Empire of Japan. It existed from 1875 to 1947.

“Organized by the Ministry of Justice in 1875, the Japanese Supreme Court of Judicature was modeled after Court of Cassation in France. The court was composed of 120 judges in both civil and criminal divisions. Five judges would be empaneled for any given case. The criminal division of the court was the court of first instance for crimes against the Emperor (e.g. lèse majesté) and for high crimes against public order.

“The promulgation of the Constitution of the Empire of Japan (i.e. the ‘Meiji Constitution’), confirmed and formalized its position at the apex of the Japanese court system, consisting of the local courts, district courts and court of appeals.

“It was abolished by order of the American occupation authorities in 1947, after the abolition of the Meiji Constitution.

“The building of the Supreme Court of Judicature was gutted by American air raids during the bombing of Tokyo in World War II. It was repaired, and continued to be used as the Supreme Court of Japan under the post-war Constitution of Japan until 1974. The present-day Tokyo High Court was built on its former location.”

“Court of Justice,” Taishin High Court, Kasumigaseki, 1904.
 
As was the requirement at the time, pre-1910, the back of the postcard was reserved for only the mailing address. The face of the postcard was where any message was notated.

Please support this site. Consider clicking an ad from time to time. Thank you!