From the wiki: “Ueno Daibutsu was an Edo-period giant seated statue of Shaka Nyorai that stood in the precinct Kaneiji, the personal Tokugawa family temple, in what is now Ueno Park. Cast of bronze and made to resemble the Kamakura Daibutsu, it dates to 1631. It was restored after earthquake damage in 1640, a fire in 1841, and another earthquake in 1855, and another fire in 1873 (that destroyed its shelter).
“Heavily damaged during the 1923 Great Kantō earthquake, when the head was toppled, much of its bulk was later melted down for use as munitions during the Pacific War. In 1972 the face, stored in Kaneiji since the war, was put on public display in its former location.”